The opposite of war is not peace, it’s creation.
like many other things that I have discussed, application is everything.
– Although a step in the right direction, the family will not attain instant Utopia.
They need to problem-solve and communicate as a team -
a skill that they have never had the opportunity to develop
- at least not with dad involved.
– You don’t, but you may be able to reinforce him hanging out with a better crowd.
It is hard to hang with the negative and positive crowds at the same time.
– This is where the concept of a Functional Equivalent Replacement Behavior (FERB)
- or similar catch-phrase- in behavior management comes into play.
– Often, cutting is not a suicide attempt.
It is usually a coping-behavior.
It is a crappy coping-behavior, but a coping-behavior nonetheless.
We should not focus on eliminating the crappy (and, possibly, only) coping-behavior.
We should be teaching and reinforcing better coping strategies.
DISCLAIMER - If you are dealing with cutting or other self-injurious behaviors, and you are not already talking to a live professional.
GET OFF MY BLOG NOW!
Get professional help for this.
Cutting is not something you should try to self-help alone - either online or in a book.
Get help, then feel free to read up.
– There is an entire industry whose sales tactics market on parents’ frustration with the public school district.
BUYER BEWARE - Especially when someone is selling you, "We are not the evil public school district!" without proving to you that they provide a better alternative (which would be the presence of good)!
For example, in
However, the same holds true in the lists of the worst-performers.
The good ones provide a positive alternative, while the bad ones market exclusively to parents of marginalized/at-risk students without actually providing a positive alternative.
The LA Times did a revealing article… written before the California High School Exit Examination was in full-effect.
Instead of asking,
“How do we get rid of (insert problem here)?”
many are realizing that the question should be,
“How do we improve resiliency-coping-communication-etc.?”
Extra-time may not be allowed in the real-world, so what are we doing to help a student meet deadlines?
- Study skills.
- Social skills.
- Academic skills.
- Appropriate and effective communication.
Besides, life is best lived pursuing happiness.
There is a reason why the American ideal is not, "Life, Liberty, and the Avoidance of Unhappiness."